The region of Epirus has been for a
long time or the side of economic development. This
implies low level of entrepreneurial activities and
investment opportunities as well as non-effective innovation
culture. Technology transfer and technology investment
has been at the minimum while the development of the
services sector has been focused on simple support companies
on computer equipment. In addition, economic interaction
with the neighbouring countries is non-existence as
in the case of Albania or lower that expected as in
the case of Italy with the exception of the tourism
The whole map is changing now and the
expectations for new investment and entrepreneurial
opportunities are high. The new set of structural funds
is expected to boost new entrepreneurial activities
through the creation of new infrastructures. Such infrastructures
are the post of Igoumenitsa, the new “Egnatia highway”
that links Epirus with Northern Greece is, Macedonia
and Thrace. At the same time the new highway that will
be extended up to Patras and named “Ionian Road” will
make Epirus the easy gate to all directions in Greece.
In parallel to those infrastructures the University
of Epirus is expanding and the Technology Park of Epirus
is starting to operate close to the University, adding
some more opportunities in hosting new enterprises.
The action wants to highlight the new
business opportunities mainly in the services sector
stemming out of these new developments. The purpose
is to highlight the new potential entrepreneurial activities
that currently active companies, outside the region
investors, or new entrepreneurs can be involved. The
action will be divided into two sub actions:
Sub – action 1.1
Study and analytical work on the business
opportunities and entrepreneurial challenges in three
- Entrepreneurship through new transport Networks
- Entrepreneurship in Tourism (ENTOUR)
- Entrepreneurship in through information and telecommunication
technologies (ICT) (ENICT)
The sub action will deliver a report
with all results and details on the SWOT analysis that
will be performed in the above key areas. The report
will be used for the support of pilot sub action 7.1.2.
Sub action 7.1.1 will be based on the forecasts of the
short and medium term development of the region in those
areas, the expected results from the implementation
of the structural funds, key examples from other European
regions with some similar characteristics like the case
of Rotherham, Barcelona and Marseille.
The study will support also as an input to all the following
actions and will propose specific action lines to be
followed. BIC, the Federation of new entrepreneurs and
the University of Epirus will be coordinate each one
of the actions. Local chambers and development companies
will participate in the working groups to be created
and will facilitate the awareness actions proposed in
Sub action 1.2
Pilot action for the support of new entrepreneurial
The results have to be implemented.
The pilot work will consist of the following activities:
Organisation of 6 one-day workshops for the discussion
of the results – Pilot application and discussion of
the proposals with entrepreneurs from Epirus and the
rest of Greece. New business opportunities assessment.
- Development of a business plan competitition in
the three areas. The best business plans will be supported
concerning finding financing opportunities and networking
with potential investors.
- Creation of networked clusters of companies and
potential entrepreneurs in the relevant sectors acting
as working groups for the identification of business
opportunities and more efficient attraction of private
capital. Cluster results and activities report.
- Strategic planning of the Regional initiatives
in order to support the potential new born entrepreneurial
- Guide on new employment opportunities
- Helping at least 60 entrepreneurial ideas or entrepreneurs
to expose and activate their ideas.
- Organisation of a major conference on Innovative
business opportunities in Epirus
1 Objective 1 areas:
0 Objective 2 areas:
0 Areas outside Obj. 1 and 2 :
- Current or potential entrepreneurs in the relevant
- New Entrepreneurs
- Foreign Investors in Services Sector
- Local actors that provide support to entrepreneurs
- Competitive SMEs in the region.
Indicative project selection criteria:
- Activities of new entrepreneurs or new firms in the
- International and export orientation of the initiatives.
- Compatibility with other local initiatives.
- Promotion of products and Services.
- Promotion and use of local infrastructures and support
Results expected (specify the choice of indicator
depending on the type of action):
- New firms’ creation or establishment in the specific
- Potential diversification or differentiation of strategies
of local firms
- Networking of local firms and infrastructures.
- Foreign interest for the region concerning investment
and new business opportunities
- Internationalisation and extrovert image of the regional
firms and actors
- Understanding by local firms of the new positioning
of the region.
Cost of the action: € 350, 000
ERDF contribution: € 240,000
Private sector contribution: € 50,000
Public sector contribution: € 60,000