THE RIS OF EPIRUS
Strategy for the development of Innovation in Epirus
The RIS project of Epirus, which is financed by the
European Regional Development fund, and the Ministry of Finance, is considered to be of
vital importance for the region of Epirus. It belongs to a series of projects which have
already been developeding in other parts of Greece such as Thessaly, West Macedonia and
Sterea Ellada under the direction of the European RIS (Regional Innovation Strategy).
This Project started in January 1999 and will be
completed in December 2000. Its main objective is the formation of a strategy Scheme for
the Development of Innovation, applicable to enterprises in the Region of Epirus.
Specifically, the project aims at:
- Finding ways, which would contribute, to the promotion of an effective co
- operation among small - scaled businesses, organizations for the rendering of services
to enterprises and the local authorities, so as to be able to compete with other
countries, at the international level based on the innovative spirit.
- Encouraging the establishment of a political formula that would satisfy
all real needs of the enterprises for innovation. To this end, both the public and the
private sector should be activated for the sustainance and diffusion of innovation and
technology for the accomplishment of the aforementioned objectives.
The RIS project schedules the following phases of action:
PHASE O: WORKING PROGRAM PREPARATION:
- Organization of the program structure with the establishment of the Steering
Committee, the Management Unit, the working groups and the Process Consultant.
- Announcement of the project and its objectives by printing brochures, editing
press releases and organizing meetings such as the first (1st) Innovation
PHASE I: ANALYSIS OF THE CURENT SITUATION:
- Selection of business sectors which will increase the competitive
advantages and will sustain the regional economic base.
- Further analysis of the current situation.
The aforementioned fields include: ecological tourism,
fish farming, silversmithery, dairy product, non - metal minerals, saving of energy, local
- Search and evaluation of the current business reports which until quite
recently have been completed at a regional level.
- Analysis of the law of supply and demand, concerning innovation services
for the sake of firms.
PHASE II: IMPLEMENTATION - EVALUATION - OBSERVATION:
- Formation of the strategic innovation scheme and evaluation by a group of
- Establishment of a system for the observation, evaluation and
materialization of the proposed activities.
- Finalizing this strategic scheme of action.
Apart from the above general objectives, which keep the
element of innovation for the region vivid, the project covers other important pilot
activities such as:
- Creating a database of all enterprises in Epirus and publishing handbook
of the major businesses in the region.
- Carrying out competitions among new businessmen.
- Seeking financing for innovative activities and meetings held by the
Among other things, the work schedule consists of three
(3) innovative meetings:
(1st meeting: July 2nd, 1999 in